Devs please be careful

The “mandatory card” part does sucks. But paying for single player campaigns is already happening in faeria. So I don’t really see the problem with Co-op mission and campaign is placed behind a quest pack purchase.

The “paying for (single-player) content” part is fine, I think. I don’t have a problem with it either; essentially we are given the core game for free and have to “pay” (with real-life money or possibly gold earned in-game) in order to see some specially-developed content. That’s cool.

What would irk me is if the only practical way to get new, very powerful, usable-in-Ranked cards would be to beat (read: purchase) this single-player content. As @Salugi pointed out to me (as I hadn’t logged onto Faeria in the last few days), this is not the case - the cards are available before the pack comes out, and they are also craftable, mostly at the very reasonable “Rare” level. I was really glad to see this!

About half the cards seem slightly OP at first glance, but I’m sure that’s more of a temporary balance issue and less of a greedy cash-grab, since the Rarities are more than reasonable and everyone will be able to get them. “Mandatory”? Maybe, but no one’s being forced to pony up their wallet in order to access that power (and I’m sure they’ll be balanced soon anyhow).

Having said all that, I still think some really cool aesthetic/customization upgrades would be the most appealing purchase one could make.

1 Like

What is a timeline that people who play this game entirely f2p expect to be able to get all the cards? Is it 2 weeks, 1 month, 6 months, a year? And how does that expectation change as the expansions increase the total card amount. One of the things that’s important to understand is that the game cannot survive if people don’t spend money. If there are 500 people playing the game, and 400 people are playing it f2p with 0$ money spent, and the game requires an average of ~$20 per person that means that the 100 non f2p players are spending an average of $100 to support the game. I know this example is extreme but because some people are paying $0 and some people are paying a lot more, especially with a playerbase that is this small, you are much more likely to come up against a person that has a bunch of rares and legendaries because they spent $100 in the game. I would also like to point out that if you have just started playing the game, you probably don’t know it well enough to counter certain decks. You are probably still making a lot of misplays and errors by the time the game is over. Try to get better at the game, learn the cards and decks, use what you have and build towards what you want. Then see if you are improving (with the understanding that your opponents are improving to). After a couple of months it will be much easier to judge the state of the game. Also I thinks it’s strange for someone to call themselves a f2p player, if the game has been out for two weeks and they have already spent $20-$30 dollars on the game and are mad about having to spend another $10-25.

Abrakam is already doing things that impress me. The community event has guaranteed prizes for those who watch. It’s nice to get prizes, but I’m under the mindset that it’s not worth sitting in a stream for 90+ minutes, “watching a commercial” as some people have called it, just for a cosmetic egg. It also appears that not everyone got what they wanted even though they sat in the stream for a long time. I’m willing to bet part of this is because they are still working out the kinks.

I also enjoy that they are committed to monthly battle cups with $3000 dollar prize pools. That’s a lot of money for a game that just started to shell out each month, and adds to the overall cost. But it’s great for Esports and great for the community. It gives people top players to watch, and allows them to be entertained and potentially learn something. Abrakam is also paying for sponsored videos, and recently gave Kripparian ( a very popular HS youtuber) two coupons, FaeriaKripp, and KrippFaeria, that will award you four free chests each. So when you look at what this game has to offer

1. Solo Missions
  2. Solo Puzzles
  3. Multiple free packs (From coupons, solocontent, and quests)
  4. Pandora Mode
  5. Free token every day to play one Pandora Mode (which should give you small rewards even if you go 0-2)
  6. Regular constructed mode
  7. Esports
  8. Free prizes and community engagement through Twitch

It really does offer quite a bit for something that just got out of early access. While some of this might not be seen as content because you can’'t play or use it directly, it certainly is. And compared to other card games this game is easier to get into.

Let me make this clear, I’ve played games f2p and i’ve played games not f2p. I’m not playing this game f2p and I have bought the supporter pouch. This changes my opinion about the paying aspects of the game. With that said from my experience with card games, card games are difficult to make f2p. I don’t think that Abrakam has created a model that will make all f2p and p2p people happy, not even close. I don’t think any card game has done that. There are certainly games that are f2p that are not card games that have, but I’m unaware of any card game that has. In my opinion Abrakam has the best f2p experience of any digital card came on the market. By experience I mean, that there is a lot more that you can do with the game, then just play against people who may or may not have better cards than you.

So my point is focus on enjoying the game and as much of it’s content as you can. If you find that you are not enjoying it enough to keep playing, then please don’t force yourself to. Constructive criticism and a desire to see a game that you enjoy succeed is very important. I understand the frustrations of those who aren’t willing or able to spend money on this game, but still desire to have the most content they can get. We should all contribute to the discussion. This is my opinion on the matter and I’d like to hear more of all y’alls opinions.

4 Likes

I am in the game for about 1 month and I like it. About this new pre-order . I would have bought but they do not want to sell it on steam. You can order only at their site. Do not like it.

I´m not considering myself a f2p player. But i just paid 20 € for a new game and im not sure if i want to continue playing it or not, e.g. i played hearthstone (pausing because of the incredible aggro meta) and i´m playing the gwent beta atm. Im not sure which game i will continue playing. but as long as i am undecided im not willing to spend another 10-25 bucks and i´m not happy about a day one dlc. Can you understand that?

good for you, that youre enjoying it.
here´s what i really don´t like at faerias business model: some ppl (like you) paid 50 bucks and get all cards. I would have to pay several 100 € to get the same. so basically you want me to pay all these monthly cups etc. so you can get them basically for free (or very little money). As a new player im feeling like a second class citizen. this has nothing to do with p2w or f2p. you get it for free, i have to pay.
And then you have the guts to tell me to shut up and pay (I had to rephrase this sentence several times and i hope its now polite enough).

Ingame: I faced several players on casual today with following deck: either green red or green yellow. and every single card they´re playing is a legendary. Today one had 6 legendaries at the same time on the board. and every time he plays a legendary, he emotes “greetings”. there are several 50 $ all inclusive players, who play casual with an OP deck vs. noobs with trashdecks. aaaand they are feeling soooo good.
I don´t see any other reason for them to do that than to piss of new players. When you already do have all the cards, why are you playing casual with an op deck? i dont get it, you dont need the gold, play ladder and have fun in the top tier.

the first impression i got from faeria is that they want quick money and the older players, who have the 50$ all inclusive pack, feeling entitled and tell me to pay 1000$ on a game they paid 50$ for and ingame they are playing OP decks and using emotes all the time to piss me off (and im not pissed because they have a better deck or p2w or sth like that, i´m pissed that AT RELEASE a huge percentage of players already have all cards basically for free (and some of them have nothing better to do than trolling newbies on causal or writing posts in the forum, telling me to pay more money than they did)!)

Yo, I get your frustration, but I think it’s a case of not looking at the F2P experience very closely because you’ve felt overwhelmed on the ladder. I felt the same way when I started playing (which was just before they changed their business model, so basically everybody but me seemed to have payed for a full collection), but I enjoyed the game, so I kept on playing Pandora and I actually found that my collection quickly grew big enough to play Ranked.

You could say I’m a pay2win player now, since I bought the Steam Pack and the Expansion, but I played F2P until the game officially launched and then I decided that I respected the team enough and wanted them to do well, given their amiable business model, that I supported them. I haven’t spent a single Gold or Gem on cards since then and I don’t ever intend on doing so, partly because I prefer to feel like a F2P player and partly because I already earned enough Gold and Memoria to craft a full collection before I payed a cent of real money. I did that in just a few months of fairly casual play, which, to me, proved that this game is serious about a good F2P experience.

That said, I’m hugely not a fan of the $$$ only preorder, but I do at least expect all of the non-cosmetic content to be available to everyone when the expansion launches and I don’t expect F2P players will have any great difficulty in earning the new cards. I don’t really like the idea of $$$ only cosmetics either, but at the same time, before the Steam launch, I had nothing to reasonably spend money on and I did want to support the devs, so I recognise that this was a problem that had to be solved somehow. I would still prefer by far for that kind of “bonus content” just to cost a prohibitive amount of gold, rather than being outright unavailable.

Long story short though, the F2P experience is very rewarding and it’s misleading to calculate the cost of a full collection in the Gem value of buying a pack, because if you want a huge boost to your collection, you can just buy Goki and spend all the gold on Pandora runs. There are a lot of alternative ways to get cards and have fun doing it.

PS. Thanks for the codes @Decabytes X)

I want to make a couple of things clear. I’ve bought the supporters pouch and the discounted steam deal. I never bought all the cards for $50 as that option is no longer available. I never played in early access. I do not have all the cards (not even close). I started playing the game very soon after early access ended, and only because GNU/Linux officially became supported. So I would consider myself a newbie as well. I apologize if my first response made it seem like I was one of those veterans that had spent $50 to receive all the cards. I don’t normally spend a lot of money on games that are f2p but again this is one few digital cards games that is fully supported by Linux.

I don’t expect you to play the battle cups every month as a way to pay for the game. I never said that. Maybe I should have been more clear. I enjoy them, I do not participate in them, nor do I believe they are a feasible way to pay for the game unless you are very, very good. I also don’t understand what you mean about me getting something for free. I’ve only ever gotten the free stuff that everyone gets while playing the game. I would also like to point out one of the reasons that this DLC came out so early they tied it to the war effor and it completed faster than they expected. This was an oversight by Abrakam and they are paying for it. I also never told you to shut up and pay

That is exactly the reason. They want you to be frustrated. That person is being a jerk, I don’t think that is exclusive to people that have a bunch of high rarity cards. Also not everyone that has a bunch of cards of high rarity bought the entire set for $50 dollars. Some people bought all of the cards at release through packs.

I would like to add the ends of my previous to posts
End of First post

End of Second post

Lastly in the near future if you find that you no longer want to play Faeria I point you Steam Refunds they may or may not be able to help you (I am not a steam representative).

Weird it looked like I double posted

No problem! Glad you got some free chests!

I could be naive, but it seemed they really tied the release/announcement to a metric that they wanted to happen later. … so it sounds like you wish they would have bent the truth a little, slowed down the “march to war” graphic, and then released the pouch later, i.e. closer to when it would be played.

That’s legit, but to me the 8 day timing seems like The Guys Behind Faeria are guilty of being too honest. (BTW if so, Gary please run for elected office some day, President if possible)