3-29 Balance Patch Developer Commentary

There were Burn decks before LoT that still work, even while LoT was Meta there were burn decks without him, check out Cappucchinos Hyper Burn list for example.

1 Like

Itā€™s so funny when they play the ā€œrestricted creative spaceā€ or ā€œopponentā€™s unfun experienceā€ card to justify nerfs.
You know what? losing is an unfun experience for players, starting from the next parch, pairings will always end in draw?

I love your game, but you give so much credit to streamers and crybabies.

2 Likes

Doomsday nerf doesnā€™t make much sense. Straight up increase to faeria cost without any buffs?

The reasoning doesnā€™t even make sense. The whole point of doomsday was that it was cheap and effective but at a huge cost (half life and empties your faeria pool). The only reason why it was an issue is with yellow face decks, because their deck type is already cheap and is on the offensive so hp doesnā€™t matter. Instead of nerfing doomsday and making it unplayable for any deck, why not deal with the interaction between doomsday and yellow face decks?

In more control decks, doomsday + stormspawn interaction is pretty fair. You are talking about committing to a 14 mana combo, half of your hp, AND needing to have both cards in hand. If you donā€™t have the stormspawn to combo with the doomsdays, you are effectively dead. Your mana pool being emptied while your opponentā€™s stays the same means that you will inherently be slower to recover your economy afterwards. Your opponent can often drop down multiple collectors and has the initiative in removing your collectors. With so many limits, the effect is rather fair. Itā€™s not that unreasonable for someone to play around doomsday in these situations. If your opponent has saved up that much mana and is not committing anything to the board, maybe you shouldnā€™t be spewing the board with minions. You also need to factor in the massive inconsistency of running this combo.

Please re-evaluate the doomsday nerf. Either redesign its nerf to only affect yellow rush decks or implement some kind of bonus. In the current state, there is no reason to play this card.

1 Like

I play a burn deck that does not use LoT, and have beat a lot of players who use that card. I might be in the minority, but I actually see a lot of potential with the new mechanic since it triggers Whenever the opponent takes damage. So anytime my burns trigger, LoT gets stronger you say? Seems like a card I would hold in my hand until the right time to drop it and trigger a bunch of damage to instantly feed him 6 or so damage. A lot more interesting than a simple 10HP wall imo. Maybe the faeria cost should have stayed at like 5, but I feel itā€™s too early to comment on that. Good overall changes, keep it up!

2 Likes

My one grip is that doomsday is already punishing enough. Its your only chance to wipe the board and now that is cost 9 you man as well send them a DM telling them your using Doomsday next turn so hold on to your mana. The only thing that Cost more than 6 Mana in Yellow is ScourgeFlame (which your opponent will know you dont have if you have no mountains on the field) and Colossus (which gets a reduced cost anyway). Change Doomsday back to 4 mana but make it require more land 6 or 7. Your reasoning was fine but your execution is questionable.

Im still kinda new so I dont have much of an opinion on LoT but Im on board with pretty much everything else. FE + Lore Theif Should not be a completely free draw two cards, And they did a good job balancing it because Storm Spawn still cost essentially 7 mana.

1 Like

Overall I like the changes. The only exception being Doomsday. I think board wipes keep the game interesting and are a necessary answer to combo decks. This one found its home as a one of in some aggressive yellow decks mostly. These decks are rarely sitting at 9 Faeria because they are constantly struggling to maintain an aggressive board presence, so this telegraph is a bit much. I feel that if we consider the other costs, it is a bit heavy. Like 9 cost would be fine but if I somehow manage to have more with a failed board state, canā€™t I keep my remaining Faeria at this point? Is 9 Faeria and half my life and the end of my turn not enough for this effect? Time will tell but I hope this card gets revisited because this doesnā€™t feel like a rebalance. Itā€™s a Nerf to unplayability.

Top players do not think it is OP yet a top pro just got high god rank with 80% win rate using a basic Y Rush deck against the best players in Faeria a few days ago. Yeah it is not so strong if you play some counter deck. Just like any other deck in Faeria.

Explaining what you did to cards is great, but, infuture posts like this from the card design team should include a picture of the cards before and after. I mean each card should be shown and labeled ā€œbeforeā€ and ā€œafter/nowā€.
I read these changes and Iā€™m too new to the game to have them all memorized. So now I donā€™t know exactly what they were before.
Before and after pictures. Thatā€™d be better.

2 Likes

hey can you guys comment on why you didnā€™t nerf yellow rush?

2 Likes

Iā€™m liking these changes. If a card is so powerful that a player has to plan around IT, rather than a coherent deck, then the card is far too powerful.

1 Like

Iā€™m playing control burn deck that Iā€™ll never touch the opponentā€™s orb and was playing one copy of LoT, without folks that dealt dmg to him, didnā€™t find a spot for it, maybe because Iā€™m no genius when we talk about building decks but he was really nice zoning tool, won me more than one game. And today I didnā€™t notice that they changed anything and I was surprised when he gained attack, he won me the game again because I could trade those enormous forest minions with him thanks to some luck and combat ā€˜deal x to orbā€™ and not get killed. Iā€™m sad he is changed, I donā€™t agree on changing good anty aggro cards because they are ā€˜unfunā€™, aggro decks are unfun god damn it.

I know, right? Why should I have to play the game? Itā€™s better to run roughshod or get run over, game after game after game. I definitely prefer my PvP gameplay to be a mirror of playing the AI.

Iā€™m actually glad for this announcement. Not because of its content, which is disappointing, but because of the timing. I was just about to spend money on the Adventure Pouch, but now that I see the thought process behind the changes that will go into this game, Iā€™ll keep my money for less reactionary developers.