Firestorm needs a change

Well, The cards you are missing are not that expensive, Crusader and Death walker are the most expensive one I believe. All in all, if you don’t have all the cards the game should try to match you with those who like you don’t have all those cards. Firestorm doesn’t need a change, You just need more time to build those cards and rekt people with YRush OPness :slight_smile:

[quote=“DarkShaders, post:21, topic:693, full:true”]
Well, The cards you are missing are not that expensive, Crusader and Death walker are the most expensive one I believe. All in all, if you don’t have all the cards the game should try to match you with those who like you don’t have all those cards. Firestorm doesn’t need a change, You just need more time to build those cards and rekt people with YRush OPness :slight_smile:[/quote]

You got me wrong, I’m not looking to copy a deck or even keep playing Y-Rush, it’s just that I’m forced to play (a quite different version) Y-rush, as I don’t have the needed cards for others. I miss pretty much all the key cards for whatever I would like to play and that includes crafting (which is just too expensive).

If you should be paired by collection, then that system isn’t working at all. I usually play against all those tier 1 decks everyone copys, full of rares and whatnot, while I’m still missing commons. Hence I’m playing pandora only atm.

Regarding Firestorm, just read what has been said. It’s not about it beeing dominant.

Well math wise, In magic the gathering lets take Mizzium Mortars. Aside from having 2 modes (overlord or not) for CMC 6 you deal 4 dmg to all creature you don’t control. If the enemy is playing tokens and got 10, Thats 40 damage done for only 6 mana. Board wipe always been exponential but necessary to keep in check tokens deck.

Also im sad the matchmaking doesn’t like you :frowning: . Good luck getting what you need. You might consider putting in big health creature in your deck. Just an idea.

[quote=“DarkShaders, post:23, topic:693, full:true”]
Well math wise, In magic the gathering lets take Mizzium Mortars. Aside from having 2 modes (overlord or not) for CMC 6 you deal 4 dmg to all creature you don’t control. If the enemy is playing tokens and got 10, Thats 40 damage done for only 6 mana. Board wipe always been exponential but necessary to keep in check tokens deck.[/quote]

There’s no way you can compare MtG and Faeria when it comes to balancing. The fact that the damage done gets removed EoT makes it already completely different. The blocking mechanisms vs a tactical board is just another huge difference.

Away from all that, look at the power creep over all those years.

Instead, compare it to Faeria cards like Firebomb, SWrath or Famine / Plague Bearer.

[quote=“DarkShaders, post:23, topic:693, full:true”]
Also im sad the matchmaking doesn’t like you :frowning: . Good luck getting what you need. You might consider putting in big health creature in your deck. Just an idea.[/quote]
lol yeah, seems to be so. I actually never thought it would try to match, as most of the time I got full powered decks. Well, I’ll stick to Pandora until I have collected enough money to buy maaany boosters.

You are right that so many things enter in the equation that you just cant compare. But you get my points, Board wipe always have a huge Impact in a card game but without those the meta would just be, Spam as much small creature as you can, boost them all and OTK. Or rush deck would simply just dominate everything (like its the case with Yrush right now due to firestorm so weak against them).

I believe that if we make a deck without rare/epic/legend, A rush deck or token deck would simply just ‘‘wreck’’ my ass :stuck_out_tongue:

kinda like how you keep defending a broken card.

its 2 cheap for only passing a turn. or instant play it in pandora.

it has too many targets for a fix dmg value. this card easily deal 20+ dmg n kills like an enitre deck.
3 dmg each is to much since like 70% of the non green crads are 3 health or less. aspecially yellow n blue.

this card should be changed in sth like “deal 10 damage randomly distributed to all enemy creatures.”
or just “deal 3 dmg to up to 3 enemy creatures”

but 1 card that trades for 10 is just stupidly broken. n it has no disadvantage at all. like your turn ends, sacrify 2 creatures, discard your hand, sth like that. compare to nightmare, ( 6 mana kill 1 creature ) firestorm kills the entire rivals board, if you re not green.

You got to keep in mind, Pandora is not balanced for many reason that I won’t discuss. Second, This game also want to be competitive which means people will have the whole collection at that level of play. Not having a board wipe such has Firestorm would create a meta game that no one want to play against.

But your point is true, if you use only low hp creature, Firestorm is broken. But only using low hp creature most likely will mean you at best trade 1 creature for 1 of your enemy’s creature, if not 2 for 1.

For exemple, I play red control vs Yrush the other day. Opening hand was terrible had to mulligan since no collector. Got 3 firestorm in my starting hand. I play first, 4 turn later Yrush had 2 6/5 on board. I used 2 firestorm they died. He then played a crusader for 10/10 and yep that was it, nothing I could do.

[quote=“Aigle1705, post:26, topic:693, full:true”]
but 1 card that trades for 10 is just stupidly broken. n it has no disadvantage at all. like your turn ends, sacrify 2 creatures, discard your hand, sth like that. compare to nightmare, ( 6 mana kill 1 creature ) firestorm kills the entire rivals board, if you re not green.[/quote]

While I think that this card should be changed (hence I opened this thread), I wouldn’t call it broken. It is undercosted, but far away from being broken. What I dislike most is, that it’s way too similiar to another red card (Garudan) and that it’s one sided. This makes it boring in both aspects.

Board sweepers are always strong cards and are very costly when they are one sided. In other games they are mainly used in control decks that don’t play many creatures, so that it becomes one sided, but in Faeria this isn’t possible (and hopefully will never be), so why does Faeria need a one sided card with the same effect a Legend in the same color already has? It could be an interesting card if it went for all creatures, but this way… zzzZZZ

Without board whipe (that are ‘‘one-sided’’) well Rush and Token deck will dominate Faeria. This is why Faeria need this card.

[quote=“DarkShaders, post:29, topic:693, full:true”]
Without board whipe (that are ‘‘one-sided’’) well Rush and Token deck will dominate Faeria. This is why Faeria need this card.[/quote]

I doubt that heavily, especially if Firestorm would affect both players.

There are plenty of players that think Firestorm isn’t good and doesn’t have a huge impact (just read this thread), hence it rarely sees play and I tend to agree with them, even though I still think it’s undercosted and plain boring (see my reasons above). In the upper ranks, Firestorm is much less of a problem than it is to the lower ranks.

If that card would be the one to hold the game together, then people would play more Firestorms (as it would be needed badly), but that just isn’t the case at all. Instead people are fighting for the wells and arn’t shy using big ones early. It is a very clunky card that no one can afford early on.

maybe you guys dont get my point.
maybe the problem rly isnt the firestorm card but

• the raritys of cards
  • the starterpool
  • the locked gamemods ( casual only forces you into expierenced players n fullcollection cashers )
    i tend to make a tread bout the current starterpool, since its unbalanced color wise n extremly weak to almost any non common.

the problem is you have nothing healthy as a beginner, as i mentioned befor green might survive a firestorm,
but playing green is pointless since you have not a single value card, all you have are 2 tiny taunts n buffs only.
no haste, no rush, no multisummon, no land transformation ( blue has ) - compared to games like MTG or spellreaver green is missing kinda 60% of its common advantages.

the 2 red taunts also may survive, but thats it. to blue n yellow a firestorm is fatality, as well as most red cards. it recs the enitre color. n since its so cheap the rival can flood the board with his stuff in the very same turn.

atm ive no clue what to play,
practice is pointless no gold n almost no exp.
in casual you wait like 2min just to face these broken mechanics.
ranked, you get at least some winable match ups but even here you get people like 1-2 leages above.

so what 2 play? pandora? 3-8 games thx 2 the free coin a day pandora?! with also almost no reward?

The problem might be the starter pool, it used to be compeltely imbalanced in favor of green, and was recently changed in order to balance the colors. IMO it succeeded at that, but still, that’s true that all colors haven’t the same strength against board clears (which is obvious, green should naturally do better). But, man, come on, starter green has no value ? Verduran force is one of the most value creas, Elderwood Embrace is one of the best buffs … All the codex cards aren’t strong, but some are definitely not bad, even against Firestorm.

And you saying that they can board clear you then flood the board in the same turn is a joke, Firestorm does cost 6, that’s 2 turns worth of faeria, and doesn’t “board clear” most of the time, if you have at least one minion that survives. And if they indeed board clear you, they rarely have enough to play more than one creature afterwards. Or maybe you just don’t play aggressive enough, letting them harvest too much and you get punished by firestorm …

True enough, playing strictly codex cards in blue & yellow, you have nothing against firestorm, but if you mix some common/rares, you should be able to survive it. You should also know it might be coming by now, so you can avoid having too many casualties, keep in mind Firestorm is pretty costly.

And finally, one-sided AoE are pretty common in HS (Consecration, Explosive trap , which has the same health mechanics as Faeria, you just have to learn the cards in the game to be able to dodge them and play around them (and Vampire is down, that’s one less to care about ^^)

Last advice : to answer your question, play whatever you like ! If you like Pandora, play Pandora ! If you like Constructed, play Constructed ! By doing your quests, you should get pretty quickly enough cards to play a low-cost version of whatever you want (except decks revolving around Epics, like Apexes of course) :wink:

[quote=“Aigle1705, post:31, topic:693, full:true”]
maybe you guys dont get my point.
maybe the problem rly isnt the firestorm card but

• the raritys of cards
  • the starterpool
  • the locked gamemods ( casual only forces you into expierenced players n fullcollection cashers )
    i tend to make a tread bout the current starterpool, since its unbalanced color wise n extremly weak to almost any non common.

the problem is you have nothing healthy as a beginner, as i mentioned befor green might survive a firestorm,
but playing green is pointless since you have not a single value card, all you have are 2 tiny taunts n buffs only.
no haste, no rush, no multisummon, no land transformation ( blue has ) - compared to games like MTG or spellreaver green is missing kinda 60% of its common advantages.

the 2 red taunts also may survive, but thats it. to blue n yellow a firestorm is fatality, as well as most red cards. it recs the enitre color. n since its so cheap the rival can flood the board with his stuff in the very same turn.

atm ive no clue what to play,
practice is pointless no gold n almost no exp.
in casual you wait like 2min just to face these broken mechanics.
ranked, you get at least some winable match ups but even here you get people like 1-2 leages above.

so what 2 play? pandora? 3-8 games thx 2 the free coin a day pandora?! with also almost no reward?[/quote]

I do get your point very well, as that’s close to what I’m talking about since I started this thread. ^^

It’s bad for newcomers and in upper ranks no one really cares. To me that’s a good reason to change it.

Also, I’m facing the same problems, no cards in the collection and I keep getting opponents who play full powered decks. That’s why I switched to Pandora (phantom runs only) to collect more gold and experience (in game and as a player). That mode is much more fair and I just went #3 yesterday. :sunglasses:

I agree with OP that Firestorm should do its damage to ALL creatures (maybe to both players as well).

In Hearthstone, the Mage player has to wait until Turn 7 to use Flamestrike (turn 6 with ‘The Coin’; Deal 4 damage to all enemy minions). That’s how it was balanced there. In Faeria; however, a player can use Firestorm on Turn 3! Yes, it deals one less damage, but minion-to-minion board control is at a slower pace in Faeria. This pretty much guaranteed that your first Firestorm will hit more than 3 enemy creatures.

Firestorm+Seifer’s Wrath, and you can wipe all your opponent’s faeria gatherers, leaving you with a huge advantage. It’s a come-back card. Yes, but it’s also a win-more card in Faeria’s living board foundation. That is not right. No single card should have a come-back mechanic and a win-more mechanic.

“Deal 3 damage to all enemy creatures.” -Garudan

Garudan is a legendary card, and even his effect is overpowered considering his legendary status.

I don’t know. What do you guys think?

Considering Garudan, I think it’s overpowered because of the 6/6 Flying Charge 2 body that remains after, its effect isn’t by itself overpowered. Keep in mind that a 7-cost card in HS and in Faeria hasn’t the same meaning, if you want to play a 7-cost card in HS, you can play other things on the 6 turns before, if you want to do it in Faeria, you have to set harvesters, or pass a a turn or more to play it.

Currently, it’s a control card, meaning it’s used to keep board control, or get it back, more than anything else. One might even play two of them, or one plus something else in order to board clear the opponent, but that’s a heavy cost to play, you don’t want to loose your own harvester(s) on top of that. Making it deal damage to your own creatures would be like killing the card, which isn’t already much played. Firestorm doesn’t need such a nerf, a rework maybe, but not a nerf by all means. Garudan could need it instead, but that’s another discussion.

I agree that a nerf would kill it, so what do you think about the change I had in mind (even though it’s not tested of course)?

Firestorm
4 Faeria / 3 Mountains
Deal 3 damage to all creatures.

To me this would be a way more interesting card, because it’s not one-sided and needs some more thoughts. You can’t just put it in any deck, but I consider this a good thing. Unlike in other games, where you don’t need creatures to win / survive, you need to put out creatures in Faeria which makes a 2 sided card very interesting, as you need much better timing. At a cost of only 4 you are able to play a creature right after Firestorm.

Regarding Garudan, yeah is is very strong (arguably to strongest amongst them), but I guess that’s what a legend should be. The green one is the one out of line, as all other dragons do something to all creatures, not so the green one. Why not +3/+3 to all your other creatures? That again would also make it’s effect more unique (as there are already +x/+x effects for single targets available).
But yeah, different topic. :wink:

At 4 faeria, it’s affordable, I guess it would require some testing, like any rework it’s difficult to tell at first glance (and even in theorycrafting). Might be too strong of a clear, but maybe it’s actually weak … Can’t say :wink:
And for Tethra (“green one” ^^), that would be pretty strong in a swarm deck, like Sacrifice (lots of 1/1), but once again, maybe that deserves testing. But it’s been said for a while that both Tethra and Garudan were not unique enough (just like Azarai before, which had Last Nightmare effect).

On paper your tweak seems pretty good, but in a typical game if you kill your own gatherer when you lost board control, then firestorm didn’t do much for you and therefor won’t be used.

Also please take note that if you have only the codex cards and you play against a top tier deck, the game cannot be balanced at all its just obvious. As long as you still have a low-budget deck don’t be suprised Rare/Epic/Legendary cards have a power higher than the codex one. Take only codex and common cards and its pretty much balanced(might have some flaws but still). Thing is right now the only competitive deck that is ‘‘unbalanced’’ is Yellow Rush.

How about this rework? Just a heads-up that it’d increase the power of Firestorm to 4.

Old Firestorm affects the whole board.

Faeria Cost: 6
Deal 3 damage to all enemy creatures.

New Firestorm deals damage within a proximity.

Faeria Cost: 6
Choose a space. Deal 4 damage to all enemy creatures and structures on or adjacent to that space.

Reworked Firestorm will be like Meteor, but it won’t destroy EVERYTHING. With this, we can summon as many followers as we want as long as we separate them from each other.

That rework is interesting, maybe make it damage all creatures (just like Meteor does, it doesn’t spare your lands). But you really need to get your numbers right, with this, you’ll barely have a 6-7f effect (it’s already good if you hit 2 creature, and you’ll hardly hit more). If you hit both enemies and friendlies with this, then maybe 5f instead, but definitely not 8. “Old” (current) Firestorm has way more impact than this one, and you want it to cost more ?
Like I said before, you just can’t take the value of 2 cards taken at random which does pretty much the same in a different way and add their value, you have to take into account the situations it will be mostly used. If you look only at the maths, then Prayer and Three Wishes are broken, but both are more or less useful in different situations, which keeps them in check (well, I do think both are broken, but that’s not the point there).