Letter From a Backer

And I have seen game actually ask and do what the community wanted who’s game been a success. I also never said it was easy, you are jumping to conclusion. All I said is, If the Designer does not listen and take into account, the game will eventually fail. If they do the opposite and only do what the community wants, it will fail also. A good game always take into account what the community approve and disagree and then add their grain of salt to it, sometime changing drastically what everyone wished for, only to make it better and more polish.

Sadly this where you are wrong, a good deck should never include cards that can be dead. I don’t mean by that you always get the full value of that card, taking the same exemple Firestorm value is has huge has the number of creatures that can be in play at the same time. Killing 4-5 unit is actually really decent for a firestorm. If you play 3 Windfall but your highest cmc is 4 and you got no draw support, Of course this card will be dead. I’m just suggesting that either your deck is not built optimally or you didn’t make the right play at the right time, making you think that card was dead. Sometime a play won’t be optimal unless other conditions happens, meanwhile its a cannon fodder that can be used as a clock but also as a decoy for bigger threat/combo.

Hey guys!
A great deck, with great cards, can absolutely have dead hands.
A Verduran Force (very good card) can be useless if your opponent has a well positioned Queens or Shaytan Assassin on the board.
Or your orb is surrounded by your opponents creature and you draw into something like an Axe Grinder/hate seed/firebringer, which are also great cards. It is just a dead hand for the situation. Not dead as in useless, but its not enough to make you come back or win.

And about the drawing at the end of turn idea, I believe that the devs have tried this and decided against it because it made topdecking feel less epic.

2 Likes

Absolutely, I even used very similar words earlier in this thread. It’s just that Faeria is hardly an unknown. It had a successful Kickstarter, the most popular Hearthstone streamers advertising for it, and it’s running some pretty heavy marketing campaigns. Of course it’s hard to judge accurately from the outside, but I don’t get the impression that discoverability is the game’s primary problem at this point.

See I don’t think it went the other direction at all, and it seems you partly agree with that in your parenthesis. Faeria isn’t the opposite of a casual card game any more than Paragon is the opposite of a MOBA. Both games just tweaked the formula a little and added some additional elements, but that doesn’t mean those games don’t play by comparable rules.

It would have been quite possible to really focus on the strategy element and downplay the card draw RNG, but that did not happen. Instead we got Unbound Evolution.

There is certainly a small niche of competitive card game geeks who are okay with the RNG and game length, while also not having an issue with a smaller playerbase (meaning less potential fame and money). But if Faeria was truly aiming at such a niche audience, a lot of the recent actions wouldn’t make much sense.

Absolutely. Catching Hearthstone wouldn’t be impossible (stranger things have happened) but highly unlikely. Based on Faeria’s size and budget, I would say Duelyst is the most immediate competitor. Duelyst can certainly be called a successful game, although I get the impression that it isn’t doing too hot right now either. It still seems to do be doing a whole lot better than Faeria (at the time of writing Duelyst has almost four times as many concurrent players as Faeria on Steam, and that might not even be counting non-Steam players).

Understandable, but that only highlights how much Faeria is indeed a bona fide card game (you don’t “top deck” in strategy games). It’s ultimately a silly reason not to improve game pacing when that is a real issue.

The parts just don’t completely fit together yet.

Duelyst has followed in Hearthstone steps, by radically changing its gameplay literally a month before release, changing from tactical to on-the-curve topdecking play just like HS, to the point of disgusting the backers and people who liked the strategy part.

I’m unsure of how many players for Duelyst this decision has netted and how many it has repelled, as I don’t know the numbers, but if doing another HS the path to success and Faeria wants that success, then I’d rather stop playing Faeria …

Absolutely true, but Faeria isn’t just a strategy game, it’s also a card game, so there is some draw-RNG involved obviously, thus “top-decks”. And I agree that for the strategy side, it would be better to draw at the end (one of the features that I liked in Duelyst), but it’s indeed more tedious for the audience as there is no more this feeling of getting what you really need at the time you can play it, which might be the reason why they don’t do it.

To be exact Duelyst wanted to be a tactical game, and I still think it manages to be closer to this than Faeria is to being a strategic board game. But they do seem to focus mostly on the card game mechanics now, which I find immensely disappointing.

Of course Faeria wants success. There are backers and investors that need to be pleased, not to mention salaries that need to be paid. We should all want Faeria to be successful since unsuccessful games tend to be shut down eventually. Doing another HS is most certainly a recipe for disaster, not success though. You can’t beat Blizzard at their own game.

Yeah this makes perfect sense… if Faeria was a fast paced card game. I feel like the design of the game suffers a lot from wanting to have that cake and eat it too, in more than one ways.

What you said is an exact replica of what I tried to say but in different words, You use the words ‘‘Dead hands’’ to say "A situation where im such in a bad spot that none of my cards are efficent’’ meaning your opponent either outplayed you badly, or you played badly. If someone has 3 creature on board around your orb and you have nothing left on the board, Something went wrong 10 turns ago… Not getting the full value of a card does not mean its dead. It is just not the optimal play for that said card, still somewhat useful tough. Sadly what I am telling you is common knowledge told by no other than the top 100 MTG player world wide, If you don’t believe me, Please believe TCG player who probably have more experiences than all Faeria player combined together.

Well, you can also have dead cards : Choking Sands, Khalim’s Prayer, Death Walkers, Aurora’s Trick … many cards have a requirement that may not be able to be realised (not to mention the land requirements that you may not have achieved yet).
These cards are technically dead, as you can’t play them at all, even sub-optimally.
Does that mean you can’t play these cards in a good deck ? If the card has an impact strong enough when played, then you’ll want it, even if once in a while it creates a dead hand (I’ll always remember my 3 Prayer/2 Death Walkers/2 Choking Sands hand :/)

2 Likes