Patch notes: August 29th, 2017

Balance Patch

Three Wishes

• Cost reduction on cards received reduced from 3 to 1.

We’ve discussed at length how we see the current state of Three Wishes, and we are indeed moving ahead by toning down its power level. In order to get the full return of value from Three Wishes, you’ll now need to play all three cards you receive.

Azure Skywhale

• Stats reduced from 6/8 to 6/6
  • Can no longer harvest Faeria

Skywhale is one of the signature cards of the Oversky, and is intended to be an incredibly powerful return on investing into a large amount of special lands. There are several aspects of Skywhale that work to make it extremely strong. Most obviously, it removes a creature from play, preventing potential harvesting from the opponent. While the opponent gears up for its removal, the Skywhale is often used to harvest Faeria easily between two wells by charging back and forth, further increasing its value if not removed right away. Lastly, it’s often able to attempt to ‘drown’ its victims by positioning itself over ocean tiles and force the opponent to make a difficult decision on whether or not to remove the Skywhale or wait until it’s closer to land. These features of the card all add up to a powerhouse that is easy to play, but tricky to play against. These are often the most dangerous cards in Faeria, as shown previously with Frog Tosser. We want to do our best to keep this card at a powerful spot that doesn’t feel so smothering to play against. By removing its ability to harvest, we dramatically cut the potential value this card can appreciate into the late game, and further our design goal of having this creature threaten game-ending damage to the opponent orb instead of merely fly around and harvest. We’re also lowering its health by 2, which means the opponent should have many more potential answers, but will still have to find some source of 6 damage to remove this 6 cost unit - if hard removal is not readily available. The player of the Skywhale should still often come out ahead in value, without making the opponent feel so helpless.

Crystal Flower

• Now loses life at the end of turn instead of during the Production phase.

This change is significant for two reasons. First, it’s an effective nerf of one health to the structure. Secondly, and we believe more importantly, it improves the general gameplay this card provides. By making the damage occur at the end of a player’s turn instead of the beginning, the owner of the Flower will no longer have the first action after the swallowed creature is released by this ability. This means the owner of the creature will have at least one guaranteed action with their creature instead of falling victim to another potential form of removal or value trade immediately after it is released.

Golden Aviary

• Cost reduced from 3f to 2f
  • Damage increase reduced from +2 to +1

This change may catch you off guard, especially if you’re reading this before the rest of today’s cards are released. To put it simply, we found ourselves releasing a heavy amount of powerful flying creatures in the Oversky that simply became too strong when included in decks that use Aviary, a card that has been somewhat of an anchor for flyer decks in the past. We had a choice between releasing weak flyer cards in general, or reducing the strength of one particular card that becomes problematic for certain designs. Annoying Gnat, for example, has made use of Aviary in several of our Monthly Cups, creating a field of 3/1 flyers that end up trading for an unstoppable amount of value. Aviary is frequently difficult to play against as you’re often unable to reach the structures easily in the early game, making them effectively global permanent enchantments. All of that said, we are generally reluctant to nerf cards in the core set unless they severely limit our design space for the future. In this case, we’ve decided that it’s necessary.

Forbidden Library

• Lake cost increased from 4 to 5.

This adjustment is not necessarily Oversky related, but is the product of our own observations and player feedback. Too often, Blue players are able to play this card so early in the game that the opponent simply has no method available for dealing with it, causing it to rapidly snowball out of hand and deliver a feeling of helplessness. With this change, we simply want to delay its appearance in games by at least 1 turn to allow the opponent to develop more potential answers.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed a display issue where the third Oversky island (Wisplight Falls) purchase panel advertises that it rewards 1x Leaping Fugu and 3x Istanu (now correctly displays 3x Leaping Fugu and 1x Istanu, Eternal Light)
  • Fixed an issue where the War Effort news would still display on the home screen for some players
  • Fixed an issue where creatures swallowed, released, then either (killed, swallowed again or transformed) would keep triggering their abilities
4 Likes

Very nice changes .although I don’t play a 3 wishes deck and struggled to play against it ,the 3-1 nerf might be too much?The skywhale whale nerf is fine i guess. hope we can still see some 3 wishes or green blue deck on the ladder not just totally die away because of the nerf.
Ps: Exited to see some more flying creatures,that’s what oversky is about ,right?

Not really, you pay 3 faeria for it, and get a cost reduction of 9 in total (if cards cost more or atleast 3 faeria each). Now from the total cost reduction you substract the cost of 3 whises, and you get left with a 6 faeria reduction. Way too much, especially considering that with all the cards to ramp land you can use it pretty soon. Now you pay 3 faeria to use the card, get a cost reduction of 3 in total. Seems fair to me.

how does the crystal flower change interact with Baeru? When he’s released, does he die, or does he get to use his production ability and stay alive?

Flower should now release your creature at the end of your opponents turn. Production happens at the start of your turn. You can move during your turn. Creatures only die from land/water at the end of the owners turn.

Golden Aviary the is the key card for many interesting decks. Why introduce many flying creatures? And throw a whole collection of interesting decks in the trash? You could make a restriction, more than three flyers +1, less than three flyers +2 to the damage. Or the creature’s attack is more than 3 +1, the creature’s attack is less than 3 +2. But now this card is more like a dust.

I’m really, really annoyed by the fact that I’m reading these changes just now and can’t disenchant the cards for full value anymore, just because I didn’t get notified in-game or by e-mail. Apparently you’re supposed to check the Faeria website regularly or go through your collection to see if any cards have changed. I’ve seen people complain about this before so I don’t understand why Abrakam isn’t adressing this issue. Please do something about it, for starters by informing the player base actively and extending the period in which you can disenchant the cards for full value, starting with the cards which have just been changed. I’d like someone from Abrakam to respond to this.

1 Like

Hey Hiub!
Im sorry about your frustration but I believe people would also get frustrated if they got emails every time cards were changed. Ingame notification would be great though! If a card was changed you would get a message about it when you enter the game. There are links to “Patch Notes” from the game-client, but it seems to be a little buggy still.
I recommend you to join the Discord channel! It is really active and you will get notified when there is a patch. For full disenchant value, looking at the homepage/forum once a week would be enough to make sure you can disenchant your cards for full value.

1 Like

Hi Jok3se,

Thanks for your reply. I think I talk for myself and a lot of other people if I say that getting an e-mail when cards are changed isn’t frustrating at all. In fact, it’s the opposite: the frustration comes from NOT getting informed by e-mail or just in-game. Besides, it’s not as if they change cards every week. Regarding looking the information up myself: I get that, but that’s the whole point. You shouldn’t have to actively do this yourself. Logging onto Discord (I have an account, but don’t log in regularly) or checking the home page every week is just that. I’ve spent money on this game and play Faeria almost every day (and still I’ve missed the changes) so I feel really let down now. So just let us know in-game or by e-mail that cards have changed so you don’t miss out on the full disenchant value. I still like to see this done retroactively.

I agree the in-game notification system is not very good at all. Sorry you missed out but the cards nerfed are not very expensive, except Aviary.

It’s not ideal but the reality is that Abrakam doesn’t have the manpower to deal with non-urgent, non-core gameplay issues. People have been asking for the deck cover image thing for over a year and it’s still not implemented. I think the best solution is either to check discord or Faeria Announcements weekly, or make more friends in faeria so you will find out just by talking with them. The Faeria co-op channel on Discord is great for making new friends.

I have multiple mythic copies of Aviaries and Forbidden Libraries so I actually missed out on a quite a bit of dust. I understand that in-game notifications may take some time to implement, but sending an e-mail with a link to news regarding card changes shouldn’t be hard at all.