Bug with Mistral Guide/ Irregularities with Summon and Dash order

A card that is summoned next to Mistral Guide gets a dash. However with Axe Grinder and Bomb Slinger the order is neglected. If I summon Axe Grinder next to Mistral Guide and he then dashes to the opponents well he gets the +1/+1 Buff even though he was not summoned there. If i summon the Bomb Slinger next to Mistral Guide, he dashes first and then uses his Gift resulting in an extended range. Usually cards with an effect and a dash do the effect before they dash (for example crackthorn). And usually cards are considered summoned before they dash. I tested this with a Sagami Warrior dashing into the range fo Mystral Guide. He does not get fly or another dash. Also if the Sagami Warrior is summoned next to Mytral Guide and then dashes out of the range of Mystral Guide he also does not get the extra dash and does not fly. The order of abilities is not consistant and the point at which a creature is considered as summoned is not clear.

2 Likes

Interesting. Definitely seems like inconsistent behavior to me needing a fix. Mistral guide is a very tricky card technically.

I think I agree with your order expectations. Does this seem right?

• Summon next to guide.
  • Gain flying and dash (but don’t use dash yet).
  • Gain all other external bonuses, including flying-related ones.
  • Do card-specific summon/gift stuff.
  • Do dash (pick the higher of the two dashes if the card has dash itself).

I wonder if this issue will ever come about with other on-summon activities (I can’t think of any current ones). Say if a card gave flamespit to creatures summoned adjacent - would that happen before or after the bomb slinger effect?

Also, does a dash-1 creature (eg oradrim templar) get dash 1 or 2 next to a guide? IMHO it should always be the highest.

Something else, when I summoned a Jump creature next to a Mistral Guide, the dash allowed the creature to move like jumping (not in a straight line). I don’t know if this should be considered a bug or not, but I did not expect it.

1 Like

I think I agree with your order expectations. Does this seem right?

• Summon next to guide.
  • Gain flying and dash (but don’t use dash yet).
  • Gain all other external bonuses, including flying-related ones.
  • Do card-specific summon/gift stuff.
  • Do dash (pick the higher of the two dashes if the card has dash itself).

Yes that seems to be the order I would expect as well.

Actually, I found the order very logical.

Mistral guide does its stuff first, and then the card performs its gift.

But it doesn’t always happen that way either.
Crackthorn partly happens before (damage is dealt) and partly after (things actually die and last words are processed).
Mistral Guide also doesn’t happen 1st with dash creatures (going on what’s said above) - they dash first then don’t get the Mistral Guide benefits.

So it’s inconsistent - unless there’s some obscure laws written somewhere saying why they should work that way.

As PseudoSphere mentioned in discord a couple days ago, this is likely because Mistral Guide doesn’t actually give the creature “Dash”, it instead “Dashes” it upon summon. A rewording like “Dash a creature by 2” could be an easy solution to keep the interesting ordering while also not creating inconsistency in comparison with creatures that have dash and gift.
Although it’d still likely be un-intuitive to see the difference.

But why would you want to keep the “interesting” ordering - it’s unpredictable to me, can you see any simple rule it’s following that explains all the cases listed?

Altering it so that it works in a consistent, intuitive way seems possible, although it’d probably require a lot of code adjustments, plus testing.