I’m pretty new to this game, still discovering the various aspects of its strategy. One topic I’m really interested in is how colors relate to each other, how you can detect a bad matchup and how you should alter your plan to fit the situation - especially in Pandora.
The identity I got from the colors (in a very rough draft - I know it doesn’t only sum up to that):
- Green is big minions and taunts
- Blue is mobility
- Red is damaging events and burn
- Yellow is… well I’m not sure. Pressure enemy orb?
From this I noticed a few global matchups.
- Red is weak against Green because Green’s creature are hard to remove with small damage events
- Red is strong vs Blue because mobility doesn’t allow you to dodge events
- Blue seems strong vs Green because they can outmaneuver their big hulking creatures and can shrink them
So, yeah, first question: is this correct? What would you say the matchups are? Where does yellow stand into this (I frankly have no idea).
Second question: how do you adapt when you realize you’re going against a bad matchup?
For instance (recent experience): in Pandora, I drafted a mono red deck with lots of burn (including 2x Seifer Wraths, 3x Flame Bursts). I notice my enemy first 2 lands are forests, so I guess I’m going against a bad matchup. What should I do?
- Turtle and hope my little damage increments from Shedim Brutes/Grim Guard bring my enemy in burst range?
- Switch to a rushing strategy?
Thanks for your advice.
Edit: also, forgot one question: are their specific cards in each color that allow you to increase your odds vs their bad matchups?