Custom Card Thread

Trashed the other posts, they were short and didn’t give much info. Anyways, I didn’t edit the other posts because I was too busy doing something else. A personal thing.

A few interesting mechanics there. Many seem very powerful though. Here’s my thoughts:

• Seed Spitter - Nice idea, but OP I think. Hilltop archer is 4 faeria for 2/2/ranged with no other bonuses (although it’s neutral). The Combat keyword by itself is worth a tiny bit - because it improves things like Gift of Steel and Herald of War. It feels like 6 faeria to me.
  • Heroic Warrior - OP again I think. 4 damage per combat is a lot of burn. Feels like 10+ faeria to me.
  • Living Crystal - Seems fairly balanced to me. Complex, but not overly so.
  • Enchanted Forest - Faeria doesn’t have land-based effects yet. I think it’d be nice to have some, though. This one seems interesting, but really OP. It’s a 3f elderwood enchant on every creature you summon there (and you’d probably try to summon everything there). Feels like +1/+2 would be enough (or 12+ faeria for +2/+4). Also, it wouldn’t stack on the same forest, right?
  • Pure Evil - Again, I think it’s hugely OP. Every attack is a 6f firestorm. Feels like 14+ faeria to me.
  • Ceremonial Dagger - That’s a huge heal. But expensive though, so it’s probably balanced. I like.

Sacrificial Dagger would still be powerful in Sacrifice decks, used on a Gnat… I don’t know if pure yellow should have a heal card, to be fair…
On the other hand, I agree we need better healing - I didn’t make two cards with a strong healing ability if I didn’t, but I made sure that the one with the most powerful healing cannot really be used in a Sacrifice deck at all.

Nice first batch of cards. I quite like the idea of dealing damage in a line. Here’s my assessment - mostly my guesses about balance.

• Ruunin’s Desertscout - Cute. Seems balanced, although jump makes it a good cheap collector.
  • Tiki Witch Doctor - Seems a bit powerful as it’s 8 health means it’s hard to snipe and you’d probably summon it far away from the enemy. Add gabrian enchant and it’s powerful too.
  • Kunoichi - Seems OK or perhaps slightly expensive - quite low health but with piper or shamanic dance it’s decent for 8f if you’re massing lands.
  • Azuria, the Dryad - That’s potentially a huge heal. Combined with feed the forest it might be quite OP.
  • Pyroclastic Flow - Quite a lot going on. Quite situational, but still OP I think. IMHO it might be better (more strategic) without the +1 damage to all. There’s also a kind of unspoken rule about not considering the flavor of enemy special lands, as it makes balancing difficult. If you replaced enemy lands with prairies it might be better. The idea of dealing damage in a line is good, but does it need to be vertical (IMHO seems annoyingly asymmetric - also, “vertical” is only how we see the board).
  • Desertbound Barbarian - Feels slightly expensive to me, as it needs 2D & 2M. 5 faeria would be too cheap though. Perhaps +9/+5?
  • Khalim’s Cat - 9+ lives? (S)he’d be quite powerful with red green sacrifice decks (bone collectors, spirit of rebirth, etc). Also, why does (s)he need lakes? And, do cats like ferrets :slight_smile: - (he has a pet one).
  • Avalanche - Again, that unspoken rule about not considering the flavor of enemy lands might apply. Would it be ok if it could only target friendly mountains? Either way, compared to firestorm it feels a bit underpowered to me. IMHO say 6f for 5 damage?
1 Like

I would change Seed Spitter to 6 or 7 faeria, now that i think about it… Enchanted Forest would be like 1/3 or 1/2, and yeah it wouldn’t be stacked. Pure Evil is just a random card, just for laughs. Heroic Warrior? I would change it to 20 burn.(just joking its the same as Pure Evil)

Why does Ruunin need a Desertscout though? (probably planning for war)

Thanks, Xax.

Ruunin’s Desert Scout: Thanks. And yeah, that’s what I went for. I stupidly made “Desert Scout” one word, though. Probably going to fix that when I reupload them :stuck_out_tongue:
Tiki Witch Doctor: Yeah, may be too powerful at 8 health when combined with blue.
Kunoichi: Yeah, maybe, but I thought it’d be too cheap at 5. It synergizes well with Crackthorn too, and it can easily have 6-9 attack before boosts come into play.
Azuria: You can’t Feed her, though. She has Divine.
Pyroclastic Flow: Thanks! That was actually the first idea - just a single 8dmg line for 8 Faeria. I added the 1 damage blanket because it’s a volcanic eruption, and deserts to reflect the resulting wasteland, but it’s probably not needed. I made the lines vertical so it’s easier to code in (if you can choose any line, idk how you would program that - maybe select a tile and then it’s direction).
Desertbound Barbarian: Maybe. 9 damage would allow him to kill any unboosted creature bar Krog I think, which is probably fine.
Khalim’s Cat: Except that he doesn’t respawn if you sacrifice him (it’s ability isn’t tagged with Last Words for that reason). He has to die in combat. Why he requires Lakes? Mostly to hinder putting it in Soul Eater decks (let alone Crackthorn).
Avalanche: Also a possibility. Losing the ability to target enemy mountains in exchange for +1 damage might be more balanced. Note that it also doesn’t deal damage on the mountain itself, so its damage is ring-shaped. Definately not the easiest card to use.

Then Khalim’s Cat dies in combat next to a Bone Collector. buffs Soul Eater, Khalim’s Cat goes back to your hand, and do it again until your opponent has removal(that does not include killing it in combat)

True, but it prevents Feed the Forest or Doomgate shenanigans. Khalim’s Cat also requires Lakes, so it doesn’t easily fit into a deck with Soul Eater or Bone Collector. That’s rapidly becoming a Wish deck…

It should have Haste (so its the most OP thing in the history of Faeria…)

Yeah, decided to change that in the end. Khalim’s Cat can now be sacrificed, but it doesn’t end up in your hand anymore. Can be fun in Pandora with Void Guardian, now, though. Oh well… it’s not as good as a Hammer of Destruction anyway since it isn’t an event.

Kunoichi also received a minor change so she can be used outside of Crackthorn decks as well.
All cards are changed, but some only received a rewording or grammar fix.
Also a new card is added. Nothing that special though - that’s why it’s only a common - but with Illusion decks in mind.

I will probably keep editing this post if I create any more cards in the upcoming few days.

Another card playing with the flavour of having several colours.

Khalim’s Cat: May be better because of that last words.
Canopy Stalker: Might be a little bit OP because of 1 Faeria for 2/3, She beats every single 1 drop (assuming that you played forest 1st turn and played her) except Dark Stalker and herself. She’s probably better than Dark Stalker since you don’t need to play an event to make it cost 1. Enchant Illusion might like this card.
Ruunin’s Desert Scout: Pretty good, 5 stats for 2,might be the new Triton Trainer, but not OP.
Pyroclastic Flow: You need a lot of lands. 2D and 5M i think is too much.
Desertbound Barbarian: Clears most creatures but i think it can only be in deserts and mountains (he is DESERTBOUND).
Azuria: Might be OP because of 5/7 and possibly a massive heal. I think it should be 1 lake = +1 health not 2.
Avalanche: So if there was a creature on that mountain you selected it wouldn’t get damaged? i think the mountain should get damage too not just the tiles adjacent to it.
Kunoichi: Don’t have an opinion on it.

1 Like
1 Like

@Oricle21: Thanks!
Khalim’s Cat was actually nerfed - the card now goes back into your deck instead of hand, which is significant.
Yeah, Canopy Stalker may be a tad too good. However, unless you have a Seed Sower, Wood Elemental, Wild Growth or Earthcraft, you are forced to use the power wheel on a green tile to pay 1 Faera to play it, which can be awkward mid- or lategame. I think making the effect less pronounced is a good idea, though. Changed it.
And Pyroclastic Flow indeed requires a lot of lands, but that means it announces itself and you can prepare yourself for nasty tricks.
I thought of that for the Desertbound Barbarian, but ehr, then I need to make it cheaper which would make it a lot harder to balance even half-decently.
And yeah, Azuria’s heal is crazy, but on the other hand, if you played 6 lakes alongside the prerequisite 3 forests to get it that powerful, you probably deserve the crazy heal. Many decks that would use this card don’t really want to play more than 3 lakes I think. +1 HP, heal is definately too little, but +2 may indeed be too much.

@Serrakura:

I like the ideas of the creatures, especially the Elementals. Chameleon is funny too.

I also like the idea of the Potions, but 3 Faeria may be too much or too little… I don’t know. Also, what about Emperor’s Command interaction with Lifeblood potion?

I don’t ike most of the other spells, though, except Thievery, which is interesting in its own right, even if I can’t really see it being used outside of a Wish deck.

OMG, you made chamelon just like I did. Again from my discards - but art is problematic, so here’s description:

Chamelon. 2/2, 2f 2F, Epic.

[quote]
Has taunt when on a forest. Has jump when on a lake. Has flying and charge 2 when on a desert or ocean. Has +3/+0 when on a mountain.[/quote]

Edit - maybe I discarded because I saw yours earlier? I forget why I made it.

Here’s my take on your new set of cards. Lots of interesting mechanics here.

• Simian Slammer - Perhaps a tiny bit OP, but very marginal.
  • Cruel Cobra - Perhaps a tiny bit OP, but very marginal.
  • Lowlife Thug - Drawing opponent cards makes it balanced towards color mirror matches - Three Wishes solves this, but I’m not sure if it’s a good mechanic otherwise. Also, seems OP.
  • Prismatic Parrot - OP for 4 color decks IMHO.
  • Curious Chamelon - Deathtouch makes it slightly OP IMHO. Especially with jump. Sit on a lake and drop a desert next to anything you want to deathkill.
  • Veteran Explorer - 9/5 jump/taunt/flying for 5f at 2M2L2F2D. Seems balanced to me.
  • Prince of Mischief - I guess it’s slightly less mirror-unbalanced than the thug. What happens if the opponent has no more cards? Failed draws that cause damage? That could be quite deadly. As there’s no warning it’s really harsh if you bank faeria and your opponent has little - but I guess that’s why it’s 6f. You get info, but you give some also. It’d be a very important card that people would have to be aware of. Very interesting - perhaps slightly cheap but really hard to say.
  • Thievery - Same possible issues as Lowlife Thug. Also, seems a little OP.
  • Null Matrix - Very strange. Tricky to use (which is sometimes good). Very situational as it’s a 7 faeria building with 3 health - easy to snipe or destroy, the opponent is unlikely to walk next to it except to kill it - so it’ll mostly just be used on the same turn it’s summoned. Nightmare is 6f so you’d need it to affect multiple targets. Synergizes with land movement, though. I’d say a bit UP due to its fragility. Interesting idea though.

Potions:
Until the beginning of your next turn means you can make it apply only to the enemy turn if you want. Which can be very powerful on the lifeblood potion (which gives your creatures a 1 turn immunity) - and the bizarre potion.

• Bloodlust Potion - Is that “and” commutative? or do you mean you only gain +2 when fighting friends? Also, the Battle Rager synergy might be OP.
  • Lifeblood Potion - How does this work with Battle Ragers and Possessed Ursi? (Ursuses?).
  • Bloodlust Potion + Lifeblood Potion: Weird synergy here, especially with combat creatures.
  • Invigorating Potion - Seems fine.
  • Bizarre Potion - This insta-kills jesters, turtles etc. I don’t know if that’s a huge problem, though. This is quite OP with green giants vs gods though, IMHO.

Surely You: When somebody is setting up for Aurora’s Dream you just play this. I don’t have an opinion on this.
Jest: ??? . Could be used after Surely You for and then your Khalim’s Cat dies so you don’t take fatigue. I doubt these cards would be used in competetive, but it would be really fun to play.

Bloodlust Potion - Is that “and” commutative? or do you mean you only gain +2 when fighting friends? Also, the Battle Rager synergy might be OP.

The combat ability would trigger fighting enemy creatures as well, so yes it is commutative.

Lifeblood Potion - How does this work with Battle Ragers and Possessed Ursi? (Ursuses?).

The creatures are still taking damage, so their abilities would trigger after the damage is taken, but perhaps not in the way you would expect.

E.g. 4/6 Ursus takes 3 damage from a Flame Burst. First it goes down to 1/6, then the ability triggers and it goes up to 2/6.

I added Guardian of the Jugnle and Winged Scourge in the past few days to my previous post. While those were a cumulation of abilities many cards already have, this third card below does something new. It adds a card to your opponent’s hand - a free creature, to boot.