Dash fast click problem

Problem:

I’ve run (time and time again and few hair off my head) into a problem with quickly playing dash cards that you want to send up top (towards enemy). I tend to play ahead of the animations, as I would think most players do, and I do tend to click the hex I want to send my card to right after I plop the card itself. The problem is, either the animation swoops in or the clickbox is already in place before the creature shows up - meaning that even though I seem to click on the next hex, I end up clicking the creature itself and cancelling the dash.

Solutions:

1. Make ability use like Dash cancelled only by right clicking, not by left clicking on spawn hex. This has its own problem of consistency though when it comes to targetable gifts - for consistency sake they would need to be self-targeting on right click. Then that brings a problem with negative gift abilities, which would self-target while people try to cancel the card altogether… oh my…

2. Make the whole spawn-dash a singular animation triggered only after selecting the spawn and dash spots. After selecting spawn, trigger rendering of movement arrow. If the creature has haste, trigger move/attack arrow instead. After player selects movement / attack path, play the animation. In case of haste, require second click on movement hex to not attack (if was possible) straight away, or do not allow attack to be queued in the opening animation at all.
    I believe this implementation would not only fix the problem, but allow for gameplay to be even faster and more streamlined for experienced players.

3. (possibly as placeholder) Do not register LMB until animation is finished.

3 Likes

i like #3 the most. or #1 and #3 both being possible.

This is a known problem and unfortunatelly according to @Atmaz it is not an easy fix.

A month later, still not fixed.

I mean, come on. You developed a card game with animations, and did not take into account that people might click fast?
Movement of a creature actually depends on an animation to finish instead of clearly separating the game logic from the display layer? Same with clicking?
As a backend/frontend/game developer myself, I do have troubles believing that.

I would really like to hear an actual tech reason for not fixing this. Why is this hard to fix? It shouldn’t be.

1 Like

Dash need a long time to fix it

How is this even a bug? It’s just a not optimized interface design.

clickbox is already in place before the creature shows up - meaning that even though I seem to click on the next hex, I end up clicking the creature itself and cancelling the dash

had this issue on pc with my mouse too several times.
i guess doing stuff so fast wasnt considered first because its optimized for touchscreen devices?!

The game came out on PC before mobile devices so I don’t believe that is a case. It has to do with the way the came is coded that makes this bug difficult to fix.

ah, okay didnt know that.
jumped onboard recently with the steam release so i thought its kinda “newish” there.

Hope you are enjoying the game so far!

i am here, that should be a sign that i enjoy the game so far despite its little recent issues on steam and things which i hope will be added in the future.