So, how do I win a game?

Let me start by saying I used to really love this game. It was original, cute, required strategy, just all around the best card/boardgame I’ve seen online.

But the last month or so, this game has been absolute garbage.

I’m not saying I’m the best player ever, but I’m decent, and I would typically win more games than I lost. I typically play an hour or two a day, and I’ve won literally two games in the past week. Every single game, my opponent has the exact perfect answer for everything I do. I’ve tried mixing up my strategy, playing the economical game, the rush game, trying to fake them out, trying to make them think I’m faking them out, everything. Nothing works.

Yeah, I know, I’m whining, but I honestly want to know if I’m doing something wrong here. Did the game drastically change in the last month in a way that I can’t see but requires me to completely relearn it? I want to like this game like I used to, but it’s nothing but frustration right now. Spending four pandora tokens for nothing but 0-3 games is not fun.

Oh, and you know what else isn’t fun? Mulliganing your entire starting hand because it’s nothing but events (in a deck that’s at most 25% events), then proceeding to get a new hand of nothing but events and drawing nothing but events for the first five turns. You know what’s even less fun? When that happens twice in one pandora run.

Hi Viewlard!

It is indeed frustrating to lose due to bad draws, and when it happens over and over it gets infuriating, but you just had bad luck!
Can you maybe record some vidoes of you playing? Maybe we can analyze your play together and give you some feedback on how to improve.

Have you checked out the beginner thread on reddit? Or the Faeria Academy on the Hub?

Oh, and you know what else isn’t fun? Mulliganing your entire starting hand because it’s nothing but events (in a deck that’s at most 25% events), then proceeding to get a new hand of nothing but events and drawing nothing but events for the first five turns. You know what’s even less fun? When that happens twice in one pandora run.

That’s chance. There’s always a bias that one has more bad luck than another one. I think what you described is perfectly fine. One never complains about the 100 turns where nothing like that happens but when it happens once or twice in a row suddenly the game is broken.
If Faeria didnt have RNG it would be basically chess.

1. Pick a deck. It can be one you made yourself, or one someone else has made.
  2. Learn the win condition of the deck. What does the deck do that allows it to win against other people?
  3. Play the deck. A lot.Learn its strengths and weaknesses. Learn its tools for dealing with other decks. Learn the mirror matchup.
  4. Adjust ypur deck, make it better, more streamlined. Try new things.
  5. ???
  6. God Rank.

I tried like hell to make my first deck (and a hundred adaptations of that deck,) work out.

It was with siege engine.

I couldn’t do it, no matter how hard I tried. Level 17, 18.

for 48 hours straight.

Fine.

I took a long hard look at my deck. Re-evaluated.

Re-designed my general deck strategy.

Immediately improved and jump to rank 14. Massive winning streak.

Thanked god – who had nothing to do with it O_O;;

You could always share your deck list and let people help you improve it.
I’d like to see it at least :wink:

Thank you for the responses, I’m sorry, I feel a bit embarrassed at my post (since it was basically just whining), but this has been astoundingly frustrating. I should specify, I play mostly pandora mode (currently on a 8 pandora 0 win streak). I’m not tech savvy enough to make videos of my play, but the issue here isn’t my play. As I said, I’m not the best player, but I know I’m not bad. It’s just ridiculously long streaks of the worst possible luck, or my opponent constantly have the best possible luck. It just keeps happening over and over again, and I just simply can’t seem to win a game anymore. As much as I loved this game for a long time, I guess maybe the best solution is to just stop playing.

I find short breaks are welcome.

…but then I am always reconsidering my deck strategy, and I have to come back a fiddle with it a bit more.

Maybe you should try ranking instead. Still a lot of obscene plays and some appalling game-breaking mechanics – but still room to grow and develop your hand and strategy.

“I know I’m not bad, I just keep losing a lot.” You’re limiting yourself. If you lose a lot, you actually are bad, that’s ok, there’s nothing wrong with being bad. But if you want to get better, knowing how to recognize that is a very important step one.

You say that your opponent always has an answer for each strategy you commit to.

You also say that you’ve tried everything.

But have you tried having an answer to each strategy your opponent commits to? This seems to be, based on your experience, how you win a game of Faeria.