The Art of behaving beautifully

If you don’t understand that a player who is familiar with the game can know that there is no card or possible combination of cards in the game that can save their opponent and the game is over, even without knowing the exact hand or intentions of their opposition, then I guess you may have a lot of opportunity to encounter displays of superior knowledge that you can mistakenly interpret to be calculated attacks on your dignity, if that floats your boat.

I think, if nothing else, the numbers in this thread show that most people don’t mean it in the way that you interpret it, which suggests that your interpretation is erroneous, rather than the signal being erroneous. Nobody’s going to make you fix that error, but nor is anyone likely to adjust their behaviour in order to accommodate your incorrect interpretation.

Saying “well played” prior to delivering the final blow is simply good sportsmanship. It is the same as saying “good game” or “thanks for the game”. You are acknowledging the other player and their effort. Every card battler I play like Hearthstone or Legends have the same or similar option to acknowledge the other player at the end of the game. Seems to me the author of this article is misinterpreting the intention of “well played”.

2 Likes

Lol, how many have written. People simply do not understand the essence of the matter, but they do not know how to read or do not want to. Cited as an example of other games. Take the same Hearthstone. Where did you see the BM in the tournament? Where is “well played” before a lethal damage? Senseless dispute.
The rules of sports (e-sports) etiquette are well-established norms. You either accept them, or behave ugly. About this guide facepalm

I absolutely agree with the rake. Only salty/cynical/angry/tlty players will interpret it wrongly.

1 Like

CrashDiet, you got it wrong, it is unpolite for the player that has the advantage to say gg/wp before they have lethal.

1 Like

I feel like the “Well Played” emote doesn’t reflect sarcastic intent in Faeria due to the fact that the “You will not survive” and “That was a mistake” emotes exist. If a player wanted to BM they would probably try one of those to rub their victory in. I think choosing “Well Played” over those emotes at the end of the game reflects respect unless your opponent crushed you and/or you clearly didn’t play well that game.

1 Like

CrashDiet,

When my opponent played well, and it was a close game, I do say “Well Played” before doing lethal. I mean it sincerely: I am acknowledging my opponent’s skill. Yes, they lost, but that doesn’t mean they played poorly. Perhaps they just had bad luck.

When I completely obliterate my opponent, I don’t say “Well Played”, I just end the game quickly.

My actions are not offensive, they are honorable. And the majority of other players also behave like me.

You are the one who assumes that other players are insulting you even though they are not: they are honoring you.

You are the one that assumes you are in the majority, but you are not: you are in the minority.

Of course, if somebody says “Well Played” when the opponent played poorly… then yes that is an insult.

3 Likes

I don’t think making mistakes precludes a sincere “Well Played”.

Even if I don’t think my opponent made a single optimal or even average move for the whole game, there’s something to be said for just doing your best.

Misplays in Faeria are harmless in the grand scheme of things, so I don’t any reason not to encourage people if their only apparent fault is having room for improvement.

The way I see it, if my opponent doesn’t fill me with so much salt that I can’t penetrate it to make a nice emote, they’re fulfilling their purpose as an opponent quite amiably and absolutely deserve to know that it’s appreciated.

4 Likes

Completely agree. I have not seen anyone who play Faeria and did it absolutely wrong. They tried and wanted to do their best and anyway I value that they work hard on it (not just make a mistake and then exit the game immediately).
I only once did not want to make this remark. A user with whom I played talked after any my step- “It was a mistake”. When you are said this 10 times along, you do not enjoy the game.

1 Like

Just use the “Mute emote” option and be done with it. Don’t see the point of this whole article, really.

1 Like