The Art of behaving beautifully

This topic has been automatically created through Faeria’s The Hub.
This content can be found here.

INTRODUCTION

In this little articel a want to talk about players behavior. Especialy about manners. Particularly about bad manners (BM).
In world of cybersport that notion exist many years. And big part of Faeria community have a young age and mostly don’t have an idea what it means.
Lets take a look at specific examples.

Example#1: Annoying things.
You have a few creature at opponent Orb and they definitly have a lethal damage. And here you don’t do last hit. Instead you start starting sort out cards, try to do some combination, draw card and other stuff. In other words you do useless and unnecessary action which perceived like a razz by your opponent.

Example#2: To many emotion.
You use emotes with and without some reason. Again and again at one battle. It’s looks like a child-play and little bit stupid. Don’t do that, it’s not cool.

Example#3: Why the hell you do THAT?
You have a lethal damage to your opponent, but before you deal it you say: “Well Played”. In world of cybersport that not kind of a thing what people like. It looks ugly, not appropriate and again looks like a razz by your opponent.

I’m awaits some questions like:

Q: Maybe a wanna play a combo before i win.
A: Yep, you can do BM like that. But don’t expect respect from that player or from other players after that. You will be dirty-player for them.

You can use emotes as many as you want in friendly battles. I don’t think your friends will be against that.
If you like how your opponent played, you can say “Well Played” and give up or let him defeat you. That was show your from the best side. Be able to accept defeat.
If you do something wrong, you can always say “That was a mistake” and your opponent don’t start thinking what you just an inept player.
Of course you can salute your opponent saying “Greetings”. That will be a nice gesture.

At the end of my article i want to say why i wrote all this.
Because i see how many people ignore this simple rules of cybersport. Even at monthly Cup. It’s create an ill fame for all community. Hundreds and thousands of people, players watching the cup where some guy use BM (giving bad example for all whose watching for him) and after that repeat it after him in battles.

CONCLUSION

I’m hoping that reading this article, everyone will make a conclusion for himself and people who use BM will be less.

Respect yourself, respect other players, good luck and have a nice battles!

Well played means good game. People have said good game/shook hands after a competition for decades and decades. It’s polite. If you interpret that phrase in some other way…Well that probably says more about your intentions than your opponents.

8 Likes

TheRake, your words once again confirm that this article was needed. Winner never said “Well Played” to loser. Initiative must come from loser if he thinks what battle was cool. That rules of cybersport etiquette.

That the same when warrior say to enemy “Well Fought” before kill him. That makes no sense 'cuz he die now.

But in games, especially online games it is quite common. Just play a game of league of legends polite players, both winner and loser, will type “gg wp” (good game - well played")

I agree with TheRake. Especially when it’s “well played” - it’s an acknowledgement of the game, and it doesn’t matter if you won or lost - and in a game like Faeria, it’s also closing the game. Sometimes the games are too close to call the loss before the final card, and someone saying GG is just finalizing the deal and letting you know it’s decided - no matter which side. It’s good manners and good sportsmanship to do so.

Now, there is one thing I cannot stand, and that is in fact a very bad faux pas. And that is the ruller - to - rule book approach. Etiquette is not a rule book, it’s a guideline. If I congratulate you on your fight when you loose and you come at me with teeth and barks because “rules say I should say gg first!” - then that has nothing to do with good manners or etiquette. Quite the opposite, it’s just teenage angst. And saying it’s only proper to wait for acknowledgement if you win is not good manners - it’s the exact opposite! It’s snobizm and overgrown self-importance. Good manners is chivalry - so, between others, it’s being humble. And if you feel too high and mighty to just go with the flow and instead point out rules and paragraphs, what about that is humble?

I’m sorry to say, but you need a guide on good manners yourself. Following a rule book might try to imitate one, but is naught but elitism and snobizm. And pointing out to someone that he followed wrong order of graces? That is as bad as faux pas’ get, man!

And don’t even get me started on that “you confirm you need to be taught manners!”. How about passive agressive?

2 Likes

That’s possibly because it’s a team game.

It’s customary in 1v1 games for the loser to say gg or well played first. If the winner does it, it’s mostly viewed as sarcastic by the majority of players.

Personally I start every game by muting my opponent, so I don’t get bothered by emotes. I do laugh when some dude who is clearly doomed on my next turn lets the clock run out on his turn. I just alt tab and do something else in the meantime, but it certainly reflects poorly on the other person.

When I have a clear lethal, I immediately start my turn by swinging for the opponent’s orb and ending the game. I have better things to do than waste my time gloating.

EDIT: Not sure where the aggressiveness is coming from Galileus. Every society has rules of etiquette to follow. There’s nothing elitist or snobby about it. You can emote well played first to your opponent if you feel like it but the majority of people will view it as an insult. If that’s how you want to be viewed, that says a lot about you.

Язабан! Но прекращать БМить я конечно-же не буду.

I wouldnt say that. I do the “well played” emote before delivering lethal damage - but as a sign that I will end the game and that I think that he was a worthy opponent.
For me and I think other players too, it’s a sign of respect, since you cant tell them after the game you kinda have to do it beforehand.
At least that is how I see it. And I already think I’m ready too much into the emotes.

2 Likes

I have no idea where that majority came from, but I definitely do not have the same experiences. No matter if we’re talking about martial arts in real life or e-sports, whenever and wherever I was competing a sincere “you did well / you put up a good fight / you gave me a fight” from the winner when I was the underdog felt good every time. And to bark back at the guy who just proved to be better that he is insulting me…? I truly cannot understand that logic. Moreover, I would say that painting it like that would be the real insult. If I turned around and refused that praise out of some stupid (sorry - it is), stuck-up rule - that would be me spitting into an open hand, id est the real insult.

It’s made up, and it’s made up for you to feel better about yourself because you have and follow rules. And that’s being stuck up. Sorry, that “rule” is teen angst in a nutshell, and is the polar opposite of good manners. Don’t be that guy.

If we follow the rabbit hole down, the looser praising the game for being good has always the air of insincerity, for obvious reason. He is proven not to be able to ascertain the level of the winner - and thus the level of the game, so “you played well” is off putting. Of course the winner played better than the looser, that’s why we call him the winner. An understandable and obvious praise is a direct praise - looser can praise the skill of the winner and humbly admit how far he lags behind, to which obviously a denial from winner would be good manners. But there is no rule about that! The winner can be sincere and agree, and follow into a lesson or a pep talk about hardship too, and this will be a wonderful thing as well!

But there is no rule he needs to do that. There is no rule at all actually. As long as he has empathy for the looser and does not show egoistic behavior - it is good manners. It’s not rules, it’s ideas!

And just to hammer the point home, I’m going all out. The winner is socially awkward. He congratulates you, but the wording is a bit off. You can tell he comes with good will, but the sentence he chose can be taken any way. In your ideal world the guy with good manners sticks to the rules, takes it as an insult and punches the winner in the face? And since the winner is naturally socially awkward, he is not allowed into your good manners club? Isn’t that what elitism is all about?

Because for me the very idea of good manners is all about empathy and looking for good intent in both you and your opponent. It is making sure that even though the guy won, he’s not stressed and laughs friendly-like with you. It’s making a joke on your own expense to get the steam out.

And if your e-sports is so insecure that it needs to follow strict order of praise or it gets insulted? Then I will not participate, thanks. Because that goes against everything I know of Bushido.

2 Likes

The victor using the “Well Played” emote is like saying “Checkmate, GG”. If you have a problem with it, that’s too bad, because it’s considered the polite thing to do at the end of a game. If the opponent is being polite, they will return it, the same as returning a “Greetings” at the beginning of a game.

Maybe what you say is true for CIS e-sports, but that is very basic courtesy in the English speaking e-sports world and the English speaking world in general, so if you have that in mind, perhaps you will feel better, even if you don’t start to use this etiquette. For us, when someone doesn’t GG, they are deemed salty and impolite, but perhaps there can be some more understanding if this is indeed a cultural difference.

I wonder if Abrakam considered making it so that the opponent emote would be shown in their localised version, with the symbol next to it so that it can be fully understood.

As for finishing with a combo, I think it’s generally nice for people to finish how they want, but I’d be upset if the enemy takes their turn to do it. If you’re going to do more than the necessary actions, make sure you can do them in a couple of seconds so you don’t draw out the game unreasonably.

2 Likes

whoa, I had no idea that ‘well played’ was offensive !! …I guess I can kind of see your point, but I think it is unfortunate that you have that perspective.

I tend to start my games with a ‘greetings’ and end with a ‘well played’.

…though I should definitely start throwing in a ‘you will not survive’ at critical moments… might intimidate the enemy into making an inferior play… hmm…

2 Likes

I don’t know what games you’ve been playing. But I nearly always say Well Played to an opponent who I’m about to deal a final blow! And I have seen about 60% of my opponents do the same to me just before I’m defeated! There have been several instances in the past few days when the winner said Well Played to me, and I replied with the exact same phrase to them.

Maybe to you Well Played seems like some sort of mockery when addressed to the loser. But to me, it means “This was an interesting game, you’ve put up a good fight, so don’t get upset”. As long as you don’t use it in cases where the opponent was much weaker and had no chance against you, it’s a very honorable and polite thing to say.

There are two more instances of annoying behaviour that you didn’t mention at all.
Firstly, some people don’t seem to understand that “Greetings” means “Hi” and use it to mean " I’m by your orb, prepare to die". I know they are probably kids from Greenland, but it’s still infuriating.
Secondly, some players use “You will not survive” repeatedly, probably trying to make their opponent surrender. There have been several instances when they turned out to be wrong in the end, and they were those who spammed the phrase the most!

1 Like

A warrior in battle dies for real. Video games are for fun, and when playing against someone was fun it makes sense to acknowledge it.

I think well played can be offensive if the opponent didn’t play well, or has just blundered, but generally I can’t imagine how that can be offensive. There are only 5 choices, 6 if you don’t say anything, well played seems an appropriate way to end the game. I am sometimes disappointed that my opponent didn’t say well played and then dealt the winning blow unexpectedly. Wish I could have a warning before the abrupt end, even if there’s nothing I can do about it. At least so I didn’t miss out on how he/she defeated me.

Yeah, it actually annoys me a little that when lethal damage is done, you can no longer emote, so often you can miss the GG because the cutoff is so short.

2 Likes

I report myself as another “well played” addict.
I don’t consider saying it as the winner as an insult and I appreciate it when I’m losing.

Regarding real time games, it’s true that most of the time it’s the surrendering player who says it first (fe StarCraft). That’s just because 95% of the time the game end by a surrender and it’s impossible for the winner to guess when it will occur.
That doesn’t dictate how to behave playing turn based games.

With all due respect, but it’s tough to continue reading after that tennis comparison. It’s amazing how stretched thin that is. If you were to translate it into a real comparison, you would suggest it is super rude for a player to cheer his opponent for keeping the game tight and good while there is a pause in the game.

Woeful! How dares he, right?

And again, sorry - but you are the perfect example on how not to approach manners in games. You make up excuses about “some tradition making churches” just so that you can then go against said tradition.

There is no tradition upheld by some league of extraordinary tennis consortium of judges, you made that up. As you made up the ill intentions of your opponent in your head. You look for the bad so that you can stay salty and aggressive, which is, again, angst.

And this is exactly what bad manners in sports are about. Looking for excuses, being egoistic and angsty. And sorry to say, all the checks are there in your posts. Ain’t pretty.

There’s only one problem with your article: You took your Personal Opinion and are presenting it as the Absolute Best way to behave. You are using the “Anyone who does things even slightly differently from me doesn’t know what they are doing” tone

Have you noticed that people are mostly commenting to say they disagree with you? You Will Not Survive. Well Played! :wink:

Your tennis argument compares a dynamic game to a static timed game. One that ends with swinging and dynamic action to one that ends in a move. There is also different amount of prep up and set up and ability to engage with each other after the game. Comparing these games 1 to 1 is simply wrong.

You mention Japanese culture and bowing. Are we rude for not bowing? How can we get to that question, if you start by accusing people for being rude because they bow? This is not the right question to ask!

The question is not if someone is rude because he bows or because he doesn’t. The question is if you look for the excuse why he’s rude or not.

1 Like