UI tweaks to help when building decks?

Hi, I love this game and hope my ideas can help make it better.

I started playing this December (thank you Humble Bundle), so the menu structure & UI I have seen is the same as the current one. I use Windows and Mac versions, and I don’t play HS. (Did briefly 2 years ago, to see what it was, didn’t like the mechanic.) Things function properly, and I think nothing is missing, but there are a few times during a play where it seems the UI does not flow well. And possibly in addition to this, it seems there are options / functions which are not intuitive.

• Trying a new deck in a casual (unranked) battle

Imagine that you made edits to a deck. “Oh I wonder how that idea will work” Save > (Back arrow) > Battle > Casual (Happy yak tile) > Play … If you are really unsure, and you want to play the AI, the procedure is Save > Practice … but real people are typically so much cleverer.

Idea 1: How about a happy yak “Casual Battle Online” icon next to Practice? 2 clicks are better than 5.

• Trying a new deck (for example, currently Deck Builder > Practice)

Sometimes I can’t tell if my idea failed or whether I was unlucky in the order of drawn cards.

Idea 2: After the game, any undrawn cards pop up for review, and the cards you played can be scrolled through in the order they were drawn (including the first 3 cards)
Idea 3: Allow the user to choose which AI they play against ( =perhaps one is free, others cost 5 gold?)

If there is a “game replay” feature or “these were played last game” feature I didn’t see it.

• “Your Decks” screen the same for deck builder & battle

I wish I had 5 gold every time I was in the Battle screen, looking at my decks, when I remember there’s one I haven’t looked at since getting a specific new card. Since they appear identical, I try to dive in and click a couple times on the deck. Of course, the behavior is different, but even the title bar “Your decks” is the same.

Idea 4: Perhaps a green background or theme for the builder? Black screen & brown theme for the battle seems fine
Idea 5: Anyway to preview the card listing in Battle, for example to check if you updated XYZ yet?

• Deck full “lock” sprite overlays “number of cards remaining” counter

Usually I can tell what the number must be, but sometimes my screen is too small, or I am too far away

Idea 6: In addition to the number, have a small stack of cards, 1, 2, 3, or “many”. One wouldn’t need to read the card, just see it’s the same shape and recognize difference between 1, 2, 3, 4+ When cards are picked, the card in back turns to an empty outline (or 70% transparent or something), the remaining ones stay solid.

• Crafting clicks

The “Disenchant all in excess” button is great, once I discovered what it was. But when I was going through my 20 chest starter bundle, it was quite monotonous to sort it all out, to buy full sets of the common cards / etc. And I understand that it is important to avoid mistakes, so that confirmation is required before the transaction is finalized, an “are you sure?” window. But can it be closer to making a purchase online, maybe a shopping cart summary where you have to verify once you have it all on one screen.

Idea 7: Have or “Enchanting list” like a shopping cart. When you add or remove a card, the crystal count has “XX crystals, -YY new cards to enchant, +ZZ cards to disenchant”. When done say “Do all on list now!”
Idea 8: Have a quick way to create multiple cards of a certain type at once. “3 Farm Boys, each cost 5, total cost 15, are you sure?” … Maybe disenchant is still “are you sure” for each card, but for buying can we toggle more than one?

• 4 deck tournament deck tool

Maybe the pros who register their decks have everything memorized, but it would seem there could be a deck sorter tool, or at least a “deck lock” mode. If you have a deck highlighted, it appears somehow in your deck sorter. … I don’t have any great idea about this, but I remember thinking “oh, well why isn’t there something to help…”

• Active menu during “waiting for player” in Battle

By accident, I clicked in the menu while waiting for an opponent, and … it worked! I was delighted to see the tea timer was overlaid, it was clear to me that I was still “active” and searching. But it was a little bit surprising. This aspect of the UI is still unintuitive to me. What else am I missing?

(If you can imagine, I am not done, just done for now! Ideas are good, no?)

I hope this is helpful, I am happy to explain in more detail, please let me know.

1 Like

Idea 2: After the game, any undrawn cards pop up for review, and the cards you played can be scrolled through in the order they were drawn (including the first 3 cards)
If there is a “game replay” feature or “these were played last game” feature I didn’t see it.

+1 on replays with features like playlist/history

Idea 3: Allow the user to choose which AI they play against ( =perhaps one is free, others cost 5 gold?)

I don’t see why it would cost any gold, but I would also like to choose AI (or at least choose AI difficulty).

We have been told that UI changes are coming this month, so let’s hope some of the issues you mentioned have been addressed.

In case people find this thread later, OP was a few days before the major 0.96 refresh

A lot of the UI flow is … well… amazing! I’m still checking out all the options. I’ll post back up here if I have any specific revisions to share.

However, I know these are still relevant:

• Idea 2 - Game deck replay (And after @RainbowRonin 's post, maybe call it “Card history of this game”)
  • Idea 6 - Mini-stacks (that you can see even with the “lock” sprite)

Also, I noticed there’s a deck builder tool on Hub. Haven’t dug further to see if there’s a “4 deck checking” tool as well

It’s really exciting to see so many changes. I’m sure users will continue to grow like crazy this year!

1 Like