What about a new green KeyWord?

We were talking today about creating a new control ability for green. So i tried to build it.
Its not a destruction, not a transformation, just some big roots that lock you on the board. You can root flying creature too if they are not upon the ocean.
What do you think about it ?

4 Likes

The rooted creature can still fight, use its ability (if any) and collect faeria if I understood correctly?

I really like it, it’s interesting considering where to best root a creature (how to tempt opponent to move it into the spot you want), then decide whether to step around it or move it, and whether to move or protect the sorcerer tiki too.

How does the rooting actually works? Does the tiki need to be next to the target or anywhere like Deepwood Stalker?

1 Like

Anywhere, there is no range.

It creates a link between the two creatures. There isn’t much in the game that has that level of complexity or information that isn’t immediately visible.

I guess you could make it visible by drawing a line between the two creatures - but that might make the board a bit visually messy. However, you could just make the line appear only when you hover over one of the endpoints. That might be a good halfway point.

As for how it would play strategically - if you kept the rooter in a safe-ish place you could take a creature out of play for a while - although you couldn’t go near it. You could also use the root to ensure that you could choose the perfect attacker. It does seem to add quite a bit of strategy.

Identity-wise, it does seem to fit green. However, I don’t think it should be restricted only to green.

So I’m not sure, but I’m erring towards yes. I prefer it to swallow.

Technical stuff:

• Would transforming the rooter or rootee break root?
  • I assume swallow would break root - on either the rooter or rootee.
  • Would flash wind and other move cards still work? (I’d guess yes, just like with taunt).
  • Would moving a rooted flying creature onto the ocean break the root?
  • Can a creature be double-rooted? If so, do both roots apply, or only the most recent one?
2 Likes

hello and Tx for the Anwser. Your technical analyse is quite good, i think we can enhanced the keyword text.

-What about “As long as this creature is alive, target creature on a land become a structure”. So, now, she can’t attack, but only defend. She can’t move by any flash the wind and she can be target by some spell (emperor command) but not by some others (froggy, LN, seifer wrath 
). The ability will be stronger, but the mechanism fit well to the game i guess.

-For the bind, first, the card skin change to fit to a structure, and then, with don’t put some root with torn on the card or the tile, and did the same effect on the bind one (a little like the taunt/fly/jump skin already existing).

-I think root fit well to green, even more if it transform in structure. I don’t see something in other color that can bring the same effect and fit to color identity (some moving sand or else, doest really work.). Maybe in 2 color creature, after all, there is already some ability restricted to color (death touch/ combat).

What happens to its attack value? You normally can’t see it on structures. If you attack, it deals damage back, right? But, since it’s hidden, you now have to remember how much attack it had before it was rooted.

Aesthetically, structures are also typically non-living (with some exceptions), and vice-versa.

I think it would seem really weird to make a creature into a structure. Having LN etc no longer work but architect be able to heal just seems odd. Eg, what if it’s a Kobold Warlord and there’s no other creature - does it still give itself bonus attack?

If you don’t want it movable at all, I think it’d be easier to just add that explicitly, e.g. “creature cannot move or be moved” - maybe even append “in any way”. Far fewer problems that way IMHO.

The root graphic can still be large and obvious on a creature.

1 Like

For me, a stucture with attack point is not a problem. Remember me the wall in magic. But well, i am not sur its the best way for the mechanism. Your solution is certainly better.

I really like it :slight_smile:

1 Like

People often suggest ‘Rooting’, I liked the idea at first, but after thinking about it a while I realized it’s just an unpleasant Taunt. It doesn’t add much new to the game and it’s not very fun for either player. You can do a similar thing with a 20 health Taunt structure, or the new Swallow ability, at least in these cases the punished player has something they do about it. Also Faeria doesn’t really allow passive effects (you can’t see them).

I think the concept is good but it may be even more “flavourful” if it wasn’t so much targeting an opponents creature but instead causes the creature you played to be “rooted”, much like how a structure is immobile. In return for the heavy lack of mobility the card can gain additional value in statline or abilities. I think this actually is a great aspect for the green colour archetype, as it has little penalty for being used defensively or as a harvestor. An example but definitely not limited to is say “Deepwood Channeler: 5/6 Taunt, 4 faeria, when this card gathers Faeria gain 1F.” as a simply example, this allows the green to gain status back on a failing board but offers nothing for offense and if not placed next to a well it is a simply taunt stick.

Fly/taunt/jump for exemple are passiv effect, and they did skins for that, they will certainly did some news, why not one for that hability?

And about doing same thing or comparing this to taunt? i don’t agree at all, its really far from those effect, and include many strategy and synergie posible with.

Interesting but totally something else. The main subject was to give to green a identity control ability.

It does have some similarities with taunt, but dash has similarities to haste, charge to jump, etc (both of those have greater similarity IMHO). I think it’s very different from taunt in that it’s not related to board position in any way, nor is it an automatic or repeatable effect.

The punished player has something they can do about it - kill the rooter. This makes the rooter a high-priority target, which means it’ll often be played defensively (like Spirit of Rebirth or Ignus). But that’s where the strategy comes in.

This is still the main negative IMHO. It’s easy to create a graphic, but it becomes a bit messy and complex.

1 Like